Lenten Reflections: Cottolengo Family

Centered on Divine Providence (Mt. 6:31-34).
Introduction
This evening our series of reflections will be a look into our activities as people called to live charity as a witness to the love of God the Provident Father. I know we all will see that we want to focus on Divine Providence as the Key to Cottolengo Spirituality but also as part of Christian living.

What aspects should be reflected in our work so that all our institutions, our activities and our plans appear as the work of Divine Providence? In other words, what are the characteristics proper to Cottolengo institutions, to people who live a spirituality centered on Divine Providence?
Let’s try to analyze some.
1. A Cottolengo institution that is founded on the Divine Providence recognizes God as the principle cause and the human person takes the role of “the manual labourer”, in terms used by Cottolengo Himself. This does not mean that the human person is untrained while God is the absolute expert. No. It rather means that the institution remains docile and open to the inspiration and guidance of God. “The Little House belongs to the Divine Providence and all of us in here are her unskilled labourers,” St. J B Cottolengo says.
2. A Cottolengo institution founded on the Divine Providence operates courageously and generously without fearing absurdity and opposition, because we see all events as part and parcel of the plan of God. St. J B Cottolengo told Sr. Artemia: “… we do not understand His plan. Just as when you sew a piece of cloth, people see the outside. It is lovely. When you turn the piece to the inside, you see everything.” So what seems absurd, like spending your time with mentally challenged, listening to a sick person, visiting wrangling families, running after children who need religious education and so on, is your way of participating in God’s plan of human salvation. “Let the Lord do it: we do not understand this event. Everything will be for the better.” [Thoughts and Sayings, No. 248]
3. A true Cottolengo institution does not fear to use the available means for the glory of God. He who trusts in Divine Providence does not fear weaknesses because it is the condition for the power of God [2 Cor 12:9-10]. He does not fear poverty because it allows for the Divine Providence. He does not fear trials because they are a sign of God’s love. Remember, the cross and the Divine Providence are two things that complement each other.
4. A true Cottolengo follower does not rest/is not content until he/she has done the best for the kingdom. The main duty, as we stated earlier, is to show the humanity, especially the poorest, that God does not forget them. Every poor that we meet needs to feel that he has met in us the hand of God. “As long as the Presence of God is alive in your minds, you will live like good [sons and] daughters.” [Thoughts and Sayings, No. 73]
5. A true Cottolengo follower is awake to the “signs of times”. In an ever changing world like ours, it is imperative to live with our eyes [of the heart] open to the ways in which God operates in the world. Sometimes he operates using the modern means of technologies. That remains our duty to incorporate in our mission.
To conclude, I want to quote something from what I have read in Vita di Famiglia, “The Mother Communicates”. It reads, “The option for the poor is inherent in the very structure of love lived in Christ. All of Christ’s disciples are held to this option; but those who wish to follow the Lord more closely, states the Apostolic Exhortation, imitating his attitudes, cannot but feel involved in a very special way. The sincerity of their response to Christ’s love will lead them to live a life of poverty and to embrace the cause of the poor (Cf. VC.82)”. Meanwhile, I want to propose these questions to help us see how we can apply the above points.
1. Do I see God’s hand operating/working in the world every day of my life? Do I see that as a sign of God’s love for me and the entire humanity?
2. Do I see the needs [spiritual and material] of my brothers and sisters as a chance to exercise the love of God in the world? Do I see it as a call to love?
3. Do I feel challenged whenever I witness a poverty that I can help? Do I feel overwhelmed and therefore incapacitated or do I attempt to take action through prayer, consultation/dialogue, and concrete actions?
4. Do I fear to meet the needs of others? How do I expect to witness the love of God in the world with a sense of fear?
5. What attitude is prevalent in my life when I work for the needs of others? Savior, superiority, total incapacity, ridicule etc.
6. Finally, do I connect the suffering of the poor with the event of the Cross of Christ? How does that help me in my spiritual, community, and apostolic life?
These are life-long questions. No one is expected to answer them at once. In the evening of my life, like in the evening of every single day of my life, I am expected to answer to myself these questions. You cannot cheat yourself. At least you will know that you are not authentic. We have time to answer them now so that we may have the answers at the fingertips.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TYCS - Muungano wa Mt. Cottolengo (MOCK)

Mwana Mpotevu au Waana Wapotevu?