Building the "Importance Drive"

I think several people have had the trouble of putting up with a lazy or uncooperative staff member or even a family member. This particular staff is a very intelligent lady but had not energies at all. She would not do more than clearly stated and when she had to do what has stated, she did it annoyingly slowly and without any motivation. Due to this attitude, anybody would have sought to eliminate her [read: retrench her!].

While I was pondering the possible ways of getting out of the quagmire, I landed into the book "the power to influence people" by O A Battista. He has given very practical tips on how to handle people. I thought of trying it. If I failed in changing the whole situation, I would grow in patience at least, I told myself.

I began the journey one fine morning. I had just come entered my office and I received a call from another priest. This lady was there already preparing files for work. As I answered the call, I saw the perfect timing for the surprise effect on the lady. "I am just set to begin my work," I told my brother priest. "I am just lucky to have Jayne [not her real name] here in office. I find all my office well-arranged and set for work everyday. My work is made a lot easier by her. So for sure if you want to come over at, let's say, 10:30, I will have done everything for you. She does her typing very quickly and perfectly. That assures me."

That day I was surprised at how well my three letters were done. Besides, when I went out for a cup of coffee in the staff lounge as usual, my secretary took those few minutes to rearrange the whole office. I was really surprised to see for the first time, my in-tray and out-tray well arranged. I wanted to acknowledge that immediately. I called my secretary and immediately thanked her for the order.

When my brother priest entered my office was quick to say, "You are lucky, Father. Your office is so orderly that anyone would easily trace items in here." I was quick to interject, "I have always been lucky. I do not know what I would do without this secretary of mine. She does even more than I can dare ask her. As soon as I can manage, I will have to reward her for all this. Anyway, tell me...."

And, ever since I told that priest how helpful my secretary had been by keeping my office orderly, I have been delighted repeatedly for find my office clean and orderly all the time. My secretary now earns herself the frequent compliments that she gets. Sometimes I have to insist that she needs a break. Otherwise, she is fully immersed in her work. She seems to love it more and exudes more energy than before.

That is the miracle of building the "importance drive". A person's importance is always an edifice that needs rebuilding everyday. I agree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TYCS - Muungano wa Mt. Cottolengo (MOCK)

Mwana Mpotevu au Waana Wapotevu?